Wednesday, July 7, 2010

You Will See a Stranger

Ah, the gods are "havin' a laugh", as Ricky Gervais' character says. After much mix-up having to do with my phone not working (thank you, Time-Warner), so that M, the tall guy from Brooklyn, couldn't get hold of me, plus his omission of one digit from his phone number so I couldn't call him, we settled this at last and I am due to call M tonight.

And then I spoke to a very short retired scientist, N, who wants to meet me this Friday. His main priority seems to be a woman who is, in his word, "intelligent." His username includes the word "brainy," and his profile says he is "intellectually oriented." Is there a theme here? I have a strong feeling he's encountered some dummies along the dating way. I may qualify for the more intelligent variety, but I can't say the phone conversation rang my bell. (On the other hand, when do they ever?) Be patient, says my friend DK, so...here I go, the new patient me.

But amazingly, someone else has popped up -- O, who also lives in Brooklyn (near where I grew up, which could be a huge indicator of poor taste). I contacted O because his interests and preferences are similar to mine -- so much so that I offered to marry him on the spot. Fortunately he's not a big fan of marriage and neither am I. I think I agreed to call him tonight too. I'm getting them mixed up, which I guess is one of the hazards of dating while over sixty.

Dating Lesson One: when you're cool, that's when it gets hot. Lesson Two: fish swim in schools rather than singly, so when you hit a dry spot (so to speak), a little group of them could swim by five minutes later. Just sit and wait. Coolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment