Friday, July 2, 2010

Life's Little Lessons

I've been told that I'm approaching this project all wrong. We already know I'm too picky, but I'm also too intense. Rome wasn't built in a month's subscription. You can't expect speed or perfection. Instead of Broadening the Scope, narrow it. Vet the comers more carefully before you meet them, even if that means more of the dreaded phone calls. Do your searching more casually and light-heartedly, not caring if men like The Philosopher like you or not. Just take a few minutes out from your busy day to check out what's on offer, then go about your business of having a life alone.

Okay, I'm convinced. But no sooner did I decide to continue this project (and this blog) than I discovered that Match not only didn't give me the discount, they cut me off. More corporate high-jinks, but this time it was caused by inefficiency rather than venality. Note to companies: efficiency is better in business than in romance.

One phone call to Match (after twenty minutes trying to locate the number on the website) later, I am now re-upped properly, avec discount, or at least so they assure me. "We just want you to be happy!" sang the nice young woman on the phone. I'm not making this up. She was so sincere, I wanted to cry. From corporate happiness.

Alas, a new search turned up the same old fellows, including the famous psychology professor whose work I'd been referring to in class for ages, and whom I dated exactly twice before he cut me off by never returning my call or email, no explanation. Nice. Never heard from him again, and there he still is on the site. He was no fun anyway. No one else new. So I can't say that this will go anywhere, 30% discount or not.

If it doesn't, what have we learned? For one thing, you CAN judge a book by its cover. Except when you can't. And it's damned hard to tell which is which.

No comments:

Post a Comment