Thursday, June 3, 2010

Short Updates, But No New Actual Dates

News of the Day:
1. Email from A, the somewhat odd-sounding first guy I talked to. I thought he'd gone into the ether (and I wasn't regretting it), but he has emerged to suggest we make a date for "a mixed drink or coffee." In the spirit of Widening My Scope, I agreed.

2. None of the six new guys I wrote to last week responded to me. Not one.

3. I changed my profile picture, because the first words out of C, the only one I've met so far, were that I don't look anything like my picture. Also, he claimed my face is too far away in the picture to get a good look. Since I haven't heard back from him either, I wonder if he was disappointed in my looks on meeting me. Providing more face on the profile could prevent that -- I'd rather have no date than one where I am a letdown. But it's sort of humiliating to do this. After all, though C was not bad-looking for age 66, he not a beauty either. Yet he could have high standards, since he told me that his most recent girlfriend was twenty years younger than he. This is what they call the double standard, folks, and there's nothing that makes me madder. And don't tell me about evolution and how men must have younger women to spread their genes. I don't care. Unearned privilege in general, any kind, makes me want to eat my arm.

4. An email from my alma mater advertised an alumni speed dating event, and I thought, "Well, why not? That might be interesting and fun." The link said, "Are you interested in meeting fellow alums for romance? Sign up for our speed-dating event, ages 20-40!" Sigh. Double sigh.

5. I had a session with a personal trainer yesterday (comes free with joining my gym for the summer) and after we talked about my "goals", he informed me that I'm "starting from a very good platform." I wasn't sure what he was saying, since I'd told him that I'm totally out of shape and have less muscle tone than a Cabbage Patch doll. It turned out he meant that I have a good body for my age, no big weight issues or horrid lumps in the wrong places. Well, a girl has to hang onto something while being battered by Match.com. At least I have a good platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment